#005: Sort the CNAME of http://www.finnangelo.com
For ages I have been getting these
Page build warning emails from GitHub, saying that my custom domain
It's been bugging me, but really hasn't been a priority. So by following the broken windows theory, lets get this fixed.
I had this all set up with the
CNAME file in the
FinnAgelo.github.io root, but obviously my
Next steps: Configuring DNS settings was a bit broken
- In my Zone Management pages with my domain provider, I had added 2
Arecords with the
- I found they belonged to that url with the classic
ping -a 18.104.22.168on the cmd line, but I could just as easily have looked up https://help.github.com/articles/tips-for-configuring-an-a-record-with-your-dns-provider/
- I deleted them
- I tried to add a cname, but my domain provider needs an mx hostname?
- And I'm still getting the emails - I might have to wait until the propagation is finished...?
Hah! My DNS recoreds and stuff are actually located at Namecheap, not my domain provider...
- Got to namecheap > Login > Menu > Manage Domains > FreeDNS.Hosted Domains
| Hostname | IP Address URL | Record Type | MX Pref | | -------- | --------------------------- | --------------- |--------- | | @ | http://www.finnangelo.com. | URL Redirect | NA | | www | finnangelo.github.io. | CNAME (alias) | NA |
And it updates without sending me the
A Record error - fantastic!